Saturday, April 26, 2008

Final Paper- or what I've been up to.


So the thing I've been researching lately is the way panaling works in the graphic narrative. When I was working on my mini-comic I had to use the program comic life one of the interesting things I found on it was the grid layouts that were exempiary of the different stages of the comic book. For instance, the forties and fifties predominantly had a style close to this one:
(I can't post it right now, but I'll try to later)


A style that is highly formatted. The panels are boxes which roughly all the same size, and spaced evenly. The most interesting thing about these comics, although they did have their stories, is that these are the comics that influenced the generations of writers and illustrators to come. The sales of the comics ranged between 80-100 million books a week in 1952, and passed along to something in the range of six other kids a week (according to statistics in David Hajdu's book The Ten-Cent Plague). How this had an effect on the culture, and how it has moved the graphic novel seems to be what is at stake here. On April 21, 1954, a senate subcommittee found it neccessary enough to hold hearings on comic books.

No comments: